Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Dairy Dilemma

So much to say on this topic! 

Did you know that we are the only species that drinks another species milk?  Doesn't that seem odd?  

Did you know that some dairy farms give their cows artificial growth hormones (rBST) to increase milk production and keep cows lactating?  That rBST along with hormones, steroids, and pesticides are likely in all in the non-organic milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream that you and your family consume.  Interestingly, rBST has not been allowed on the market in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Israel, Argentina or the European Union.  I wonder why they all ban it but we allow it?  If I have your attention, I suggest you watch a few documentaries such as Forks Over Knives, Food, Inc., and Supersize Me.

From a different perspective, dairy has an impact on other aspects of our health - regardless of 'cleanliness' of the dairy.  It's known that dairy causes congestion, exacerbates allergies, negatively impacts our skin and unless you are eating fat free, can cause weight gain.  Those are just some of the more well known impacts.  

I'm guessing some of you are saying "but what about calcium"?  Well, guess what?  Calcium comes from many foods, not just dairy!  And by the way, do you really want cow calcium? Yuk.   You can get calcium from leafy greens such as spinach, kale, and collard greens, fortified orange juice, fortified cereals*, non-dairy milks (ie: soy, almond, coconut), soy**, and enriched bread, grains and waffles.  

So what to do...the world revolves around dairy.  And I know it's hard to give up - I've done it.  I will say that although I may miss cheese on my meal, at the end of the meal I feel great that I avoided the pitfalls of dairy especially the fat.  I have found many substitutes such as almond milk, coconut ice cream and vegan parmesan.  So there is the 'food for thought'.  Take it slow and your changes will stick much longer.  Doing too much change at once can be a recipe for disaster!

Vegan Parmesan:
In a coffee grinder, blend:

1/4c Nutritional Yeast
1/4c Toasted Sesame Seeds
1/4tsp Sea Salt

Store in a tightly sealed glass container in your refrigerator.  I usually make 2-3 batches at once.  And celebrate one non-dairy substitute!
In good health,
Jackie

*Be sure to check your label on cereal, some of them are loaded with sugars, by many names!  Email me if you'd like some healthy brands to consider!
**When eating any form of soy (edamame, tofu, etc) be sure to always choose organic, non-GMO as a very large percentage of soy is genetically modified.

Movie reference site:  http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/10-best-food-and-health-documentaries/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment